maybe there is a problem introduced with version 3.6.8, Bug 9037 (https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9037).
On FreeBSD there is a port library called "libwww" which create a md5 library in /usr/local/lib/libmd5.so.
If this library is installed then Samba 3.6.8 links against the libwww version, if not against the system version /lib/libmd.so.
Samba prior to 3.6.8 links always against /lib/libmd.so. and work fine.
Samba does not like the libwww version of md5. Most daemons and userspace tools perform spectacular segfaults with this library.
When symlinking /usr/local/lib/libmd5.so to /lib/libmd.so everything is fine again.
Question: Is this a problem with the samba build and linking procedure or is it a problem inside this "libwww"?
Samba 3.6.8 source3/Makefile says "LIBS=-lmd5", but in 3.6.7 it's "LIBS=-lmd"
I set up a fresh new VM with Release 9.0p3 and did the following:
1. Check if libwww is installed (of course not) or /usr/local/lib/libmd5.so is present (it isn't)
2. Compile and install the latest net/samba36-3.6.8 port with ADS option (after configure, source3/Makefile contains "LIBS=... -lmd")
3. Join a domain, play around with wbinfo
4. Compile and install the port www/libwww
5. Check for /usr/local/lib/libmd5.so, it's there now
6. "make clean reinstall" net/samba36-3.6.8 (after configure, source3/Makefile contains "LIBS=... -lmd5" (!))
7. Try "net ads join -U someuser" [segfault]
8. "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba restart" =>a lot of horrible segfaults, samba internal errors and error messages
9. symlink /lib/libmd.so to /usr/local/lib/libmd5.so
10. Try "net ads join -U someuser" =>success
11. "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba restart" =>success
12. Playing with wbinfo ;-) =>success
13. "pkg_deinstall libwww", libmd5 is away now
14. "make clean reinstall" net/samba36-3.6.8 (after configure, source3/Makefile contains "LIBS=... -lmd")
15. Everything fine again. :)
For some reason this is filed as blocking a Samba 4.0 release. Does it also happen in the waf (new, top level) build? According to bug #9037 the patch that introduced this isn't even in master.
(In reply to comment #3)
> For some reason this is filed as blocking a Samba 4.0 release. Does it also
> happen in the waf (new, top level) build? According to bug #9037 the patch
> that introduced this isn't even in master.
I marked it as blocker for 4.0, because I assumed this was also in v4-0-test,
but it isn't for some strange reason, I'll some research and may port
some of the changes to v4-0-test and master. If it turns out to be really a 3.6
only thing, I'll remove it as blocker.
This one should be fixed with the patches attached to bug #9418.
Closing out bug report.
Please feel free to re-open if it's still an issue.