The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 9791
Managing DNS entries with MMC shows random data
Last modified: 2015-03-15 20:59:22 UTC
Created attachment 8770 [details]
Screenshot 1: Before pressing F5
Base system: Ubuntu 12.04.2
Samba: latest git version
Manage samba's DNS entries from a Windows 7 MMC:
Go to reverse zone: A few random containers appear (last part of listed reverse IP addresses). Pressing F5 changes them to other random values (sometimes a few reloads are required to trigger this behaviour).
Two screenshots showing this are attached.
Something similar happens in the forward zone: some of the a records are also displayed as containers, however F5 does not seem to randomize this output
(this can also be seen in the screenshot - but it's not marked)
Created attachment 8771 [details]
Screenshot 2: After pressing F5
We have the exact same problem as outlined above.
System: Ubuntu 12.04
Samba Version 4.0.3 and 4.0.5
Bind Version 9.8.1-P1 (package) and 9.8.4-P2 (self compiled)
And all combinations of the the above versions
Windows 7 DNS MMC Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Additional Note: It also happened after we migrated to the samba internal dns
*** Bug 9799 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
We have used a german Windows 7 if this might be of any interest, as i have
seen in the screenshots that the original poster was using a german version as
We just tried it with a english version of Windows 7, same behavior.
On the other hand, our ubuntu locale is set to "DE_DE.UTF-8"
I just installed a fresh samba4 (from git) on Ubunbtu 12.10 (x64).
After the initial domain-deployment I'm seeing ghost entries (or random data as the topic starter called it) in my "dns" snap-in on my windows client.
Every refresh triggers a new view.
root@samba4dc:~# samba -V
root@samba4dc:~# dpkg -l ntp bind9
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
ii bind9 1:9.8.1.dfsg amd64 Internet Domain Name Server
ii ntp 1:4.2.6.p3+d amd64 Network Time Protocol daemon and
Client OS: Win XP SP3 (German)
MMC Version: 3
I'm using the latest version of the Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools Pack (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=16770).
Created attachment 8811 [details]
Screenshot of my DNS MMC snap-in
Same behavior as others are reporting. Ghost entries change upon refresh. Using internal DNS server. Performed a migration from 3.x to 4.
root@dc1:~# samba -V
root@dc1:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
Ok, since all of us used Ubuntu 12.X and we've had our problems I tried CentOS 6 (x64).
What can I say?
Different distribution, different package versions (ntp, bind from repos) - same problem with samba 4.0.5 (build from tarball).
I used my (same old) WinXP-Client to test though.
Yeah this doesn't help too much but I'm running Ubuntu 13.04, Samba 4.0.6, internal DNS server, and can confirm this. I have a bunch of random DNS containers in my forward lookup zone. Most of these random containers are named after my CNAME records.
I have Centos 6.3 and Samba4.0.6 and have same problem, my subfolders is gray and can´t acess for view or remove . Tks for help or fix! :)
Same issue here on Gentoo amd64 with Samba-4.1.0. My locale is "POSIX" (also tried en_US.UTF-8). Sometimes, entries show up as though they are glue records, instead of real entries, but refreshing the view enough times almost always makes them show up correctly.
My Samba DC was created by joining an existing Windows Server 2008 R2 domain, but the original DC has since been removed.
As the MMC snap-in talks to the server via the dnsserver RPC pipe, this is related to DCE/RPC. Changing component.
Created attachment 10358 [details]
Initialize dwFlags field of DNS_RPC_NODE structure
this patch fixes the displaying issue. The dwFlags field was not initialized so its value was random in each call.
Created attachment 10828 [details]
4.2 patch cherry-picked from master
Re-assigning to Karolin for inclusion in 4.2.1.
Pushed to autobuild-v4-2-test.
Pushed to v4-2-test.
Closing out bug report.