The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 9458
Character encoding issue: dbcheck errors after migrating from Resara 1.1.2 to Samba 4.0.0
Last modified: 2013-01-22 12:35:06 UTC
We had used Resara Server 1.1.2 (based on Samba 4 beta 17) until Resara LLC has closed. (http://www.resara.org/)
Now we tried to migrate to a newer Samba version by doing this:
1. install Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a virtual machine
2. On the old Resara Server:
2.1 samba-tool dbcheck shows 0 errors
2.2 zip -r samba.zip /usr/local/samba/
3. On the new Ubuntu Server
3.1 copy the samba.zip to the new server
3.2 unzip samba.zip to /var/lib/ because Samba now uses /var/lib/samba
3.3 apt-get install samba4 (installs Samba 4.0.0 alpha 18 from Ubuntu PPA)
3.4 samba-tool dbcheck shows errors now on all users with German umlauts like ÄÖÜ in their names
These dbcheck errors are all like this one:
ERROR: incorrect GUID component for member in object CN=Mitarbeiter,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan - <GUID=c385ad50-c728-41ba-8b94-22fa07b57b41>;<SID=S-1-5-21-2936403297-3018184044-1011683372-1153>;CN=Max MÃ¼ller,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan
unable to find object for DN CN=Max MÃ¼ller,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan - (No such Base DN: CN=Max MÃ¼ller,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan)
Not removing dangling forward link
I can't fix them by using the dbcheck --fix option.
I also get the same errors when using Samba 4.0.0beta8 from Zentyal 2.3 PPA or Samba 4.0.0rc5 from here https://launchpad.net/~kernevil/+archive/samba4 instead of alpha18.
The initial Samba provisioning was done by a tool called "Resara Admin Console".
On the old Resara Server i can create users with German umlauts by using Microsoft RSAT without a problem.
After the migration, the RSAT tools don't show these users in the Active Directory Manager anymore and i can't create a user like "Müller" now.
Sorry, there is a copy and paste error in the bug report:
The dbcheck error message shows "CN=Max Müller" and not "CN=Max MÃ¼ller"!
It looks like the solution for this problem is very simple:
1. Do a backup or make a snapshot of the old Resara Server
2. Open Microsoft RSAT, connect to the old server and remove all German umlauts in the user names
3. Shutdown all Resara Samba services
4. zip -r samba.zip /usr/local/samba/
5. Migrate to the new server
6. Before starting samba4 the first time on the new server do 'samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix' (No errors are reported now) :)
8. Open Microsoft RSAT and connect to your new Samba4 server
9. Change all the user names back where you have removed the German umlauts before
-> samba-tool dbcheck shows 0 errors now and you can add new users with German umlauts through Microsoft RSAT without a problem :)