The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 8612
New added printers don't appear
Last modified: 2012-07-12 15:05:34 UTC
Created attachment 7103 [details]
Level 10 debug logs
in 3.5.12 I created a new section for a new printer in smb.conf:
path = /var/spool/lpd/samba
browseable = yes
writeable = no
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
printer name = HPCP1515-1
and restarted the service. The new printer appeared in "\\servername\Drucker und Faxgeräte". Fine.
I didn't do any configuration on the new added printer in 3.5.12 (not even assign a driver to it). Then I migrated my test environment to 3.6.1. But the printer isn't shown any more.
Also if I add more printer sections like the one above, they don't appear.
Then I did the ultimate check (in my test environment of course): I deleted everything in my lock directory (incl. subdirectories) and restarted the services. Now now of the 26 printers I had before are shown any more in "\\servername\Drucker und Faxgeräte"
The debug level 10 log shows a lot of registry errors like
[2011/11/15 17:33:48.639794, 2] rpc_client/cli_winreg_spoolss.c:1644(winreg_get_printer)
winreg_get_printer: Could not open key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\SHMX2600-1_SW: WERR_BADFILE
I also tried 3.6.0 which also had this bug.
I attached a level 10 debug log from the server (contains opening "\\servername\Drucker und Faxgeräte")
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 8554 ***
could you try the following, please?
rpcclient -c "enumprinters" <hostname/ip> -U <username> ...
Don't forget to add the host and username to the rpcclient command.
This workaround command makes the new added printers appear (I just forgot the hostname).
Created attachment 7107 [details]
Client log from driver assign problem
With the workaround the printers appear, as i already said. Now I tried to assign a driver to the printer. But there the Client (here XP Prof SP3) always freezes.
I right-click to a printer -> properties -> extended tab -> choose one of the drivers that are already on the server -> click to "OK".
The "OK" button stays pressed and this screen freezes now for hours. The only way is to kill explorer.exe.
I tried meanwhile 4 different drivers (from different vendors). Happend with all.
I created a level 10 debug from the assign process. I already saw in the log messages with odd pathes like
[2011/11/16 12:42:45.704378, 10] smbd/filename.c:1313(filename_convert)
filename_convert: unix_convert failed for name W32X86/3/print$/W32X86/3/SN0HGD.DLL with NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
I don't know if this is a new bug or if it's associated with this one.
> W32X86/3/print$/W32X86/3/SN0HGD.DLL with NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
this problem is not related to this bug.
I fixed this problem last year. Please see 8618.
Fixed by fixing bug 8554