The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 8454
fail to import .reg files under Win7
Last modified: 2011-09-27 06:49:17 UTC
On Win7 clients, an error occurs when importing registry entries from .reg files kept in a read-only SMB share.
Server OS : LFS running kernel-184.108.40.206 with binutils-2.21, gcc-4.4.5,
Samba version 3.5.11
1. unpacked the distribution file samba-3.5.11.tar.gz
2. cd samba-3.5.11/source3
3. sh ./configure --prefix=/10/samba-3.5.11 --datarootdir=/10/samba-3.5.11 \
--enable-shared --with-cifsmount --with-cifsumount --with-quotas \
5. make install
6. ln -s samba-3.5.11 /10/samba
7. added /10/samba/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig
8. created /10/samba/lib/smb.conf (see attachment below)
9. /10/samba/sbin/nmbd -D
10. created users :
/10/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a root
/10/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -n nobody
/10/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a user0
11. created directory /Software and uploaded file SMB_test.reg (see attachment
12. from a Win7 computer :
> net use X: \\x009\Software /user:WORKGROUP\user0
> regedit X:\SMB_test.reg
this produced the error (see attachment below), but the file SMB_test.reg
can be opened by a text editor
13. the above step was repeated on a WinXP computer without error (see
Created attachment 6884 [details]
Created attachment 6885 [details]
Created attachment 6886 [details]
error from Win7
Created attachment 6887 [details]
samba log for the Win7 session (with the error)
Created attachment 6888 [details]
samba log for the WinXP session (without the error)
Can you attach a debug level 10 log for the Win7 session to the Samba server including the error please ? The current log you posted doesn't have enough information to allow me to determine what is wrong.
The attachment 6887 [details] above was already a level 10 log.
Now I attach a level 100 log.
Created attachment 6892 [details]
level 100 samba log for the Win7 session (with the error)
I've just found some relevant pages on Microsoft support :
It appears that this "bug" belongs properly to Win7, not Samba.
I think that this case could be closed. I'm sorry for all the troubles caused.