The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 8438
installation of shared printer driver fails from Win 7 clients
Last modified: 2011-09-06 16:23:03 UTC
After installing a new shared printer with cups, I tried to upload the drivers from the Windows 7 Pro clients (32 and 64bits) and both failed, but it partially worked after installation of a 32bits driver from a WinXP Pro client.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. create a new shared printer in cups
2. from windows 7 clients 64bits browse the IP of samba server and go to shared printers
3. right click on the newly installed cups printer and go into properties to install the shared driver as usual
4. first error when selecting the 64bits driver : "this driver is not compatible ..." - this error does not occur when using a direct connection to the IP of the printer
5. second error (but nothing displayed) with the same configuration when adding the driver via "add driver for other systems", here is the relevant part of the log file (specific to this step 5, nothing at step 4):
[2011/08/19 13:57:03.211533, 1] smbd/service.c:1070(make_connection_snum)
portable-fabric (192.168.0.2) connect to service print$ initially as user root (uid=0, gid=0) (pid 1702)
[2011/08/19 13:57:04.086648, 0] rpc_server/srv_spoolss_nt.c:7352(_spoolss_AddPrinterDriver)
_spoolss_AddPrinterDriverEx: level 8 not yet implemented
[2011/08/19 13:57:14.735441, 1] smbd/service.c:1251(close_cnum)
portable-fabric (192.168.0.2) closed connection to service print$
This "level 8 not implemented" was also reported in bug 7064 :
6. install a shared 32 bits driver from a WinXP machine : it works fine
7. reproduce step 3 from a Win 7 Pro 32 bits : driver is already installed and is automatically downloaded from the server with connecting to the printer (note : the drivers WinXP/Win7 are the same)
7. reproduce step 4 from a Win 7 Pro 64 bits : same error message
8. reproduce step 5 : works !!!
I insist : I tested twice all the steps and it is really like that.
Shared Win 7 drivers (32 or 64bits) can only be installed if a Win XP driver had been installed before.
Shared Win 7 drivers (32 or 64bits) should be installed at once from Win 7 workstations.
Build Date & Platform :
- Debian squeeze stable (samba 3.5.6)
- Debian squeeze stable + backport (samba 3.5.11)