I finally tracked down the source of a problem that bit me a few months back. My domain has been 'Bliss', since I set it up.
Recently, It became BLISS -- which caused all sorts of problems on unix/linux -- suddenly logins didn't work, groups didn't work, links to people's home directories didn't work, .. because unix ain't case insensitive.
The problem was in mistakenly trying to follow the 'smb.conf' guide
that suggests putting wins before host, to prevent bogus lookups on the the
DNS name server.
The DNS name server returned case-correct names, the WINS server does not. --
so it changed the case of everything!
On top of that, I started getting lots of host lookups on the WINS server for external hosts -- most of which were too long to be legal, but some of the shorter ones -- wins would broadcast for them, and eventually put them in a black list for a while, when the requests should have just gone straight to DNS.
Either (or both) the recommendations should be changed -- but probably, also,
WINS should stop altering case (it should 'ignore case', but be case preserving)...
This is a problem across Samba (3.5, 3.4, ...etc, so I didn't know quite how/where to file it....
Also am unsure of category for WINS...