As previously posted to rsync mailing list, but received no responses to indicate whether this is unintended behaviour or not...
I installed rsync package SMCrsync v3.0.7 SPARC and although command
man rsync worked, man -k rsync and whatis rsync did not despite the
fact that I had run a catman -w to rebuild the windex databases. After
reading the catman man page, I suspected it might be due to the
formatting of the line following .SH "NAME" in the man page file
/usr/local/share/man/man1/rsync.1. I changed it from…
rsync \(em a fast, versatile, remote (and local) file-copying tool
rsync \- a fast, versatile, remote (and local) file-copying tool
… and then ran catman –w again and it had the desired result, i.e. fixed.
The rsync bug-tracking page on rsync's website suggests discussing any
suspected bugs on this list so I thought I'd do that before going all
guns blazing and raising a bug report.
This is on Solaris 10 SPARC Update 8 with recommended patch cluster
30th Nov 2010...
root@myhost:/# uname -a
SunOS myhost 5.10 Generic_144488-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise
root@myhost:/# pkginfo -l SMCrsync
VENDOR: The Rsync Group
PSTAMP: Steve Christensen
INSTDATE: Jan 13 2011 15:12
STATUS: completely installed
FILES: 25 installed pathnames
5 shared pathnames
1711 blocks used (approx)
I've gotten rid of the \(em from the manpages. Thanks!