On 3.3.13 all our Sharp MX-2600n printers are preconfigured on the server (e. g. number of trays, etc.). All users automatically have this settings.
Then I upgrade to 3.5.4. Some hours/minutes after starting smbd, if users view the properties of their conneced printers or from the ones available on the server, most settings are lost (number of trays, output bin,...). Even reconnecting the printer doesn't fix it.
But: If the domain administrator views the properties on the server or on their connected printers, everything looks fine like in 3.3.x
I meanwhile have deleted all nt*.tdb and printing/* from the lock directory and uploaded/reconfigured all printers from scratch with the latest drivers. It's still the same: Fine for admin, broken for the users.
Switching back to 3.3.x doesn't repair this issue! It stays broken. The only way is to install 3.3.x and recover the appertaining lock directory.
All drivers are uploaded with the printer wizzard.
Printer driver: Sharp MX-2600n v1007a for Windows XP 32-Bit PostScript
I don't know if 3.5.x also breaks other printer drivers. But we have many of the MX-2600, so I haven't checked others.
Created attachment 5958 [details]
nt*.tdb files from 3.3.13
This are the nt*.tdb files from the log directory when using 3.3.13
Created attachment 5959 [details]
nt*.tdb files from 3.5.4
This are the nt*.tdb files from the lock directory when using 3.5.4.
Created attachment 5960 [details]
Compressed client level 10 debug log, that contains opening the printers properties on 3.5.4 and clicking to the "Configuration" tab as normal user, that e. g. shows two paper trays instead of four.
Created attachment 5961 [details]
Screenshot as normal user from the correct settings on 3.3.13 and with the lost settings on 3.5.4.
I meanwhile figured out, that this bug doesn't appear for users having the privilege "SePrintOperatorPrivilege".
If I grant SePrintOperatorPrivilege for a normal user, where the settings are shown wrong, everything is fine after re-login. If I revoke the privilege and re-login again, it's broken like before.
But granting SePrintOperatorPrivilege is not a workaround, as it would allow all users to configure the printers on the server and change settings.
I'll attach a tcpdump of viewing the printer properties as admin/user to compare.
Created attachment 5963 [details]
Created attachment 5964 [details]
Problem still exists in 3.5.6
Created attachment 6098 [details]
Samba 3.5.3 works good - Factory default and A4 format with right sizing
Created attachment 6099 [details]
Samba 3.5.4 with bad sizing of A4 paper
I have the VERY same problem. After upgrade openSuSE 11.1 to openSuSE 11.3 (therefore Samba from 3.2.7 to Samba 3.5.4) my printers have lost preconfigured settings. Before upgrade I was able to choose "Factory defaults" with good sizing of A4 paper. After upgrade using that causing that A4 format is wrong. I will try to attach some pictures.
I have tried to compile samba versions from 3.4.3 to 3.5.6 (because RPM from openSuSE repository for "openSuSE 11.3" was first which was "good"). In Samba 3.5.4 "our" problem has started (I have tested it with printer PCL5e driver for HP LaserJet 1200).
I have tried version 3.6.0 too, but there I cannot add printer driver due to much of "segmentation faults"
I move servicing of my printers for Windows to another server, where I can leave old distribution openSuSE 11.1 with good working Samba 3.2.7
> Samba 3.5.3 works good - Factory default and A4 format with right sizing
I can't confirm this for our Sharp MX 2600 devices. I tried all 3.5 versions since 3.5.0 and having the problem with all of them.
Also 3.4 is having the problem. I tried 3.4.0 and some minor version from that tree. Also broken.
3.3.x is fine with all version. So the problem (at least with our drivers) came in 3.4.0.
(In reply to comment #12)
> > Samba 3.5.3 works good - Factory default and A4 format with right sizing
> I can't confirm this for our Sharp MX 2600 devices. I tried all 3.5 versions
> since 3.5.0 and having the problem with all of them.
> Also 3.4 is having the problem. I tried 3.4.0 and some minor version from that
> tree. Also broken.
> 3.3.x is fine with all version. So the problem (at least with our drivers) came
> in 3.4.0.
I tried only "HP LaserJet 1200 PCL5e" driver. I use it for several "HP LaserJet 2055d" printers with JetDirect because "original" driver needs .NET and I am not able to upload it on Samba server. It worked fine in past. Other printers (Minolta MC 2300 DL, Minolta bizHub C220, Minolta bizHub C252 and Xerox WorkCentre Pro 245) has problem with Samba 3.5.4 too but due to time consumption of testing I chose only one driver which serves most of our printers.
After some tests, it seems, that 3.5.8 fixes this issue.
The changelog of that version doesn't list exactly this problem, but maybe it
was fixed with the "printing issues on win7" bugs. I'll do some further
testings and give a final result during the next days. But currently it looks
After having 3.5.8 now since 2 days in production, I can say, this version fixes the issue with our Sharp MX 2600n drivers, that was introduced in 3.4.0.