The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 4662
winbind nsswitch glue fails for users; winbind segfaults
Last modified: 2007-06-09 15:42:06 UTC
Alas, after spending the better part of a week banging on it, I've concluded that winbind in 3.0.25 and onwards is broken to the point of being unusable.
The first problem is that perturbing the BUILTIN domain in any way causes winbind to segfault. When I built against revision 23088 of SAMBA_3_0_25, winbind would at least run without crashing as long as I didn't refer to the BUILTIN domain in any way in smb.conf. But when I rebuilt against revision 23147 of SAMBA_3_0_25, now winbind crashes a few seconds after startup, every time.
The second problem is that looking up users via the nsswitch.conf glue fails, even though looking up groups succeeds, and "wbinfo -u" and "wbinfo -g" return expected results.
Samba 3.0.24 works perfectly with the exact same smb.conf file.
Created attachment 2729 [details]
samba "log level = 10" log files
Here's a tarball of assorted logs.
The top-level directory contains the smb.conf I'm using, for both 3.0.24 and 3.0.25+.
The 3.0.24 subdirectory contains "log level = 10" logs from Samba 3.0.24. I cleared the logs, started samba, ran the command "getent passwd ada", then shut down Samba.
The 3.0.25 subdirectory contains the same, but winbind had already crashed before I ran the getent command. Rather than including the core files (which probably wouldn't be useful to you), I've included the output of gdb's "thread apply all bt" and "info registers" commands.
Finally, I'm well-versed in Subversion, patching, and rolling packages, so I'm happy to test patches, or to keep repulling against SAMBA_3_0_25.
Thanks. I'll deal with this but it will be mid next week before I can get to it,
Created attachment 2745 [details]
The patch should make idmap_rid a bit more robust and support for older configurations.
IT will sitll NOT support the, always defined as experimental, multiple domain config switch. That is replaced by the new configuration options.
Alsop the BUILTIN domain is now handled internally. If you rely on BUILTIN groups (aliases) just make sure they are correctly mapped using net groupmap.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 4624 ***
Comment on attachment 2745 [details]
See the corrected patch attached to #4624