Bug 4249 - "os level" is not auto-configured
"os level" is not auto-configured
Status: NEW
Product: Samba 3.0
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Docs
3.0.23d
All All
: P3 normal
: none
Assigned To: Samba Bugzilla Account
Samba Documentation QA Contact~
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-11-24 12:58 UTC by TAKAHASHI Motonobu
Modified: 2010-03-06 09:45 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description TAKAHASHI Motonobu 2006-11-24 12:58:02 UTC
During fixing BUG#3148 
http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/smbdotconf/browse/oslevel.xml?r1=748&r2=823&rev=823&root=samba-docs&diff_format=h

The description below were added:
  This parameter is largely auto-configured in the Samba-3
  release series and it is seldom necessary to manually over-ride the default   setting. 

But actually os level parameter is not auto-configured. So this should be deleted.
Comment 1 John H Terpstra 2006-11-24 13:25:17 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> During fixing BUG#3148 
> http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/smbdotconf/browse/oslevel.xml?r1=748&r2=823&rev=823&root=samba-docs&diff_format=h
> 
> The description below were added:
>   This parameter is largely auto-configured in the Samba-3
>   release series and it is seldom necessary to manually over-ride the default  
> setting. 
> 

Please provide detailed example steps you took to establish that this parameter does not default to a sensible value. On my system this very certainly defaults to a value of 20. It is rarely (if ever) necessary to change this value. I want to understand what you did to find otherwise and then I will change the documentation accordingly.

Cheers,
John T.
> But actually os level parameter is not auto-configured. So this should be
> deleted.
> 
Comment 2 TAKAHASHI Motonobu 2006-11-24 17:41:01 UTC
>Please provide detailed example steps you took to establish that this parameter
>does not default to a sensible value.

As far as I see Samba source code, this value is set to fixed value "20" by default. And also when I set "domain logon = yes", the value of "os level" should
be 32 or above but is still 20 until set by hand. 

According to these.

(1) This value is not auto-configured, but is hard-coded.

(2) At least if you make a DC, you should set this value, and also if you want Windows NT series machine should be a browse master, you will change this value. 
According to the above, I think it is necessary to change this value under some circumstances.
Comment 3 John H Terpstra 2006-11-24 18:18:07 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> >Please provide detailed example steps you took to establish that this 
> >parameter does not default to a sensible value.
> 
> As far as I see Samba source code, this value is set to fixed value "20" by
> default. And also when I set "domain logon = yes", the value of "os level"
> should be 32 or above but is still 20 until set by hand. 
> 
> According to these.
> 
> (1) This value is not auto-configured, but is hard-coded.

I will correct this. Thanks for the clarification.
 
> (2) At least if you make a DC, you should set this value, and also if you 
> want Windows NT series machine should be a browse master, you will change
> this value. According to the above, I think it is necessary to change this
> value under some circumstances.

I have not found any need to change this value in any location in recent times. The last time I set the os level was in 2001. Are you sure that it was really necessary to set this manually in recent versions of Samba?

- John T.
Comment 4 TAKAHASHI Motonobu 2006-11-24 18:51:49 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> > (2) At least if you make a DC, you should set this value, and also if you 
> > want Windows NT series machine should be a browse master, you will change
> > this value. According to the above, I think it is necessary to change this
> > value under some circumstances.
> 
> I have not found any need to change this value in any location in recent times.
> The last time I set the os level was in 2001. Are you sure that it was really
> necessary to set this manually in recent versions of Samba?

In the document below,
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2560504
some examples to change os level are shown.
And actually Windows DC has the value 32 (0x20) for os level.

In documentations for Samba, at the view of compatibility?, it is said that os level must be set 32 or higher. Technically I agree DC for "os level = 20" will work well currently as you say. But these are contradicted. If your opinion is adopted, lots of documentation about "os level" should be modified.

And if Samba and non-Samba DCs will be able to coexist in the future, ths os level value must be changed to 32 or higher. 

And also to control the priority of becoming a master browser, to change os level is still usefull.

So under some cases it is usefull to change os level, I think.
Comment 5 TAKAHASHI Motonobu 2008-11-13 15:56:43 UTC
Still not fixed yet at Samba 3.2.4.
Comment 6 TAKAHASHI Motonobu 2010-03-06 09:45:16 UTC
Still not fixed yet at Samba 3.5.0.