The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 3999
Cannot join new XP Pro PC's to domain with 3.0.23a
Last modified: 2006-08-03 19:50:51 UTC
Yesterday, I updated our samba PDC from 3.0.22-1.fc5 to 3.0.23a-1.fc5.1 and I
can no longer add XP Pro PC's to the domain. I am still using the
smbpasswd file. Prior to this update(this morning), I had no problem
adding PC's to the domain. The message that I get at the client is "The
user name cannot be found". I see that the passwd file has been updated
with the machine name and the smbpasswd file has also been updated with
the machine name. However, in the entry in the smbpasswd file, there is
no password information in either password field. I would expect that the
second password field would have a password in it.
The first two entries were created with 22 while the last was created with
23a with the error message at the client.
I ended up bringing down the server and bringing up it's backup (it's
summer and no one is at school right now) which still had 3.0.22-1.fc5 on
it and had no problem with the PC joining the domain. The smb.conf file
has not changed for several months. Also, selinux is in permissive mode
Today, I deinstalled 23a and reinstalled 22 on the primary server and am now able to successfully add the new lab XP Pro PC's to the domain.
East Granby, CT, USA School System
already fixed for the upcmoing 3.0.23b