I have a Samba server with multiple shares. I have a mix of both Windows and Linux clients that access those shares. When I upgraded from 3.0.21c to 3.0.23a, I found that the Linux clients could no longer read any of the files on the shares. The strange thing is that they still had write access. Windows clients were unaffected by this problem and could read/write as before.
cd /mount-point # no problem
echo "hello" > test_file # no problem
** Permission denied **
Reading the file on a Windows client and directly on the server shows that the file is indeed created and contains "hello".
Downgrading back to 3.0.21c fixed the problem with no other changes on client and server.
I am running kernel 220.127.116.11 on both server and client and am aware of the isses with kernel oplocks in 2.6.17, but have them disabled through smb.conf as all access to these files is through Samba.
I captured a level 10 log of an attempted read. I'll post it in a follow-up comment.
Fixed in 3.0.23b (to be released shortly).
Created attachment 2081 [details]
Edited log file from failed read attempt
I've snipped stuff that I *think* is not relevant from the beginning and end of the log file and did a search and replace on SIDs. I still have the log file in its entirety if I cut away too much stuff.
The interesting part is around line 497 when an NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED message is sent back to the client.
Wow, 25 minutes from open to resolved!