I wish to report a bug with the samba version 3.0.0 that comes with Fedora Core 1. It causes application crashes in Windows 95/98. The applications are Quickbooks version 5 and Quicken version 6. The crashes occur in newer computers such as Celeron D but not in older computers such as Pentium I. I have tried switching network interface cards and configuring the NICs with parameters but it does not solve the problem.
This didn't occur with samba version 2.2.7a before I upgraded to Fedora Core 1. The computers used were the same. I noticed that in samba 3.0.0 the smbstatus output showed file names even after the computers logged off or shut down. This does not happen with samba 2.2.7a.
I have uninstalled 3.0.0 and installed 2.2.7a into the kernel of Fedora Core 1. All the problems have disappeared. I will continue to use 2.2.7a. I believe there are quite a number of security issues with versions earlier than samba 3.0.0 but my network is not exposed to the Internet so it should not be an issue.
Attached are whatever screenshots, logs or files that I collected during the course of the problems with 3.0.0. I am an accountant running my own firm and I do my own systems administration with the limited knowledge I have of Linux.
PS: The bug report screen doesn't allow for attachments.
Created attachment 1596 [details]
Log with panic
Created attachment 1597 [details]
smbstatus cannot clear
Notice that some files with pid 25013 which has logged out, still appears.
Created attachment 1598 [details]
Windows application crash
Please retest against 3.0.20b. 3.0.0 is too old and the bug
has likely been fixed. If you can still reproduce the error
against 3.0.20b, then feel free to reopen this report.