Bug 3103 - Samba 3 problem with unc name connections
Samba 3 problem with unc name connections
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Product: Samba 3.0
Classification: Unclassified
Component: File Services
3.0.9
All All
: P3 major
: none
Assigned To: Samba Bugzilla Account
Samba QA Contact
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-09-16 01:19 UTC by Martin Bergien
Modified: 2005-09-21 09:46 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:


Attachments
trace (by wayne sherman having the same problem) (103.42 KB, application/octet-stream)
2005-09-20 05:11 UTC, Martin Bergien
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Martin Bergien 2005-09-16 01:19:16 UTC
I've got the following problem, since using samba version 3:

When I connect to a samba share without mapping to a drive letter, the 
connection is very slow. It takes a long time, until directory listings 
are updated or file copyings begin.
Everytime I try to copy a file, I get the follwing entry in the logfile:

[2005/08/31 08:46:28, 0] smbd/service.c:(797)
  hostname (ip-address) couldn't find service no_backu

The real service name ist no_backup, so the last letter of the service 
name in the log file is cut off.
I think, samba  first tries to connect with no_backu (which does not 
exist) and falls back to no_backup later, so I think this may be a samba 
bug!?

I'm using the german version of Windows XP and I don't have an english 
version, so I can't test, if the problem depends on the XP language.
Samba (3.0.20) is installed on a debian linux and on a sgi octane.

my smb.conf on the sgi octane looks like:

# Global parameters
[global]
        unix charset = iso-8859-1
        display charset = CP850
        workgroup = SAMBA
        server string = Samba %v on %h
        security = SERVER
        password server = PASSWD_SERVER
        root directory = /
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/adm/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins host
        paranoid server security = No
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = WINSNAME
        ldap ssl = no
        admin users = ME
        hosts allow = IP ADRESS RANGE/255.255.0.0

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No


[NO_BACKUP]
        path = /NO_BACKUP
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes


When I connect the share using a drive letter, there are no problems, 
but because of a software we use, it's absolutely needed to connect 
without a drive letter.


-- bye Martin Bergien
Comment 1 tuned440 2005-09-19 22:47:45 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> I've got the following problem, since using samba version 3:
> [2005/08/31 08:46:28, 0] smbd/service.c:(797)
>   hostname (ip-address) couldn't find service no_backu
>
> The real service name ist no_backup, so the last letter of the service 
> name in the log file is cut off.

I have experienced the same errors which I discussed with one of the Samba gurus
in August 2004:

Using samba 3.0.6-1 on Fedora core 2 as file server
Windows 2000sp4 client connecting to share "\\rbcserv\rbc"

Errors in /var/log/samba/devpc1.log:
  [2004/08/27 01:56:46, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(800)
    devpc1 (192.168.1.11) couldn't find service rb

Note that Win2k tried to connect to "rb", not "rbc".  Everything appears to be
working just fine, no visible errors when accessing files.  I saw a couple of
references to this behavior when googling, but no answers as to why or how to fix.

see here:
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-April/084251.html
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-March/040556.html    
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-March/040584.html
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2003-May/067129.html

Note:  I have a complete level 10 debug log as well as tcpdump which tries to
capture the problem if anyone wants to look at them (find me at "body1233 at
yahoo").

Best Regards,

Wayne
Comment 2 Gerald (Jerry) Carter 2005-09-20 04:19:53 UTC
please email me a trace of the failure.
Comment 3 Martin Bergien 2005-09-20 05:11:39 UTC
Created attachment 1456 [details]
trace (by wayne sherman having the same problem)

Because I can't send a trace of the network in our company, I attach the trace,
made by another person, having the same problem.
Comment 4 Gerald (Jerry) Carter 2005-09-21 09:46:40 UTC
This is a Windows 2000 client bug apparently.  
I can reproduce it from Win2k but not NT4 or XP.
The client just truncates the share name. 
There's nothing that I can see in a packet trace
that we are doing to cause this.

Since I can reproduce the exact same behavior when 
connecting to an NT4 file server, I'm closing this as 
INVALID.