The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 2861
Unable to rename user accounts with usermanager
Last modified: 2005-10-20 13:57:56 UTC
There are a few problems related to renaming users when using a Samba domain
1) When using usrmgr to rename a user (user menu, rename), you get "The
Parameter is incorrect" as an error.
The call is samrsetinformationUser level 7 and the response is
2) There probably should be a smb.conf parm to point at Idealx's smbldap-usermod
which will do the rename for you once the RPC works
Since usgmgr failed, I used smbldap-usermod to rename the account from the Samba DC
3) It looks like the name to sid mapping was stuck on an additional server, so
getent password retuend bogus info. I used tdbtool against netsamlogon_cache.tdb
remove the SID and restart winbind.
# getent passwd newuser
We're missing many of the info levels on this pipe. I'll look at adding them in
(we have the IDL in Samba4 so shouldn't be too hard). It won't be for 3.0.20 but
for a release after that.
known issue. Is on the TODO list.
jmcd wants these. So here you go.
Created attachment 1496 [details]
Add rename support to tdbsam
patch adds the new SAM_ACCOUNT record, locks it, calls the posix add user
script, rewrites the RID record to point to the new account, unlocks the
record, then deletes the old account.
committed patch for tdbsam, but now looking at adding tdb transaction support to
code has been checked in for the 3 supported backends, smbpasswd, tdbsam, and