The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 2741
Cant start daemon
Last modified: 2005-05-26 14:08:42 UTC
I want to starup rsync as a daemon.
I tried "rsync --daemon", no error message but "ps" could not find it.
Here is what I do know.
1. /etc/xinetd.d/rsync does exist (I changed disble to = no)
2. /us/bin/rsync (executable) exists.
3. there is no entry in /etc/rc.d/init.d for rsync(d)
4. rsync(d).conf does not exist.
5. using latest redhat version of rsync (2.6.3)
6. kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3
Interestingly enough, I have rsync working fine on my windows machines, using
cygwin. I am having troubles with Fedora!
Read the error message(s) in the log file (syslog or whatever you've configured)
-- that will tell you what you've done wrong.
Yes, I checked the log and i added rsyncd.conf to /etc. I was then able to
maually start rsync as a daemon.
Maybe i am spoiled but usually RPM installs set up configuration files and
daemon init files.
I had to manually add a script to /etc/init.d and link it in using chkconfig