Please see the Debian BTS for all details regarding this bug.
In short, from the bug submitter:
Change directory (cd) command is broken in smbclient 3.0.14a-1,
generates error ERRDOS. Not broken in previous version (3.0.10-1).
Jerry suggested this to be https://bugzilla.samba.org/bug/2530 fixed in
3.0.13, however Debian reporters confirm this happens also with 3.0.14a.
We requested the bug submitter to run smbclient -d10 and I will attach the
relevant output file.
The target operating system is Windows 95. The bug submitter cannot mention
whether this is OSR2 or not.
Created attachment 1229 [details]
level 10 debug file of the smbclient session
please retest the lates SAMBA_3_0 svn tree (or wait until the
next prerelease). If the bug is not fixed, I will need
a raw network trace.
'tcpdump -w /tmp/dump.pcap -s 0 -i eth0 port 139 or port 445'
The two users who can reproduce the problem report they still reproduce it
with a special Debian package built from a SVN checkout of SAMBA_3_0 as of
I will ask both of them for the requested raw network trace.
Created attachment 1258 [details]
Comment on attachment 1258 [details]
I'm one of the debian users seeing the problem, I figured communication would
be easier if I posted directly here.
I've attached a tcpdump, made while running:
$ smbclient //newton/koda
smb: \> cd KODA-SYS
cd \KODA-SYS\: ERRDOS - ERRbadfunc (Invalid function.)
smb: \> exit
The packages Christian Perrier made from a SVN checkout were used.
Created attachment 1577 [details]
smbclient -d10 during error
This has just happened to me, too. I've upgraded my system from 3.0.2a to 3.0.20, and smbclient can't change directories when connecting to Windows 98 (2nd edition) systems. It works when connecting to Windows 2000 systems.
I've attached a -d10 output trace.
I've tested versions 3.0.20b, 3.0.12, 3.0.13. They don't work; smbclient errors out when trying to change directories when connected to Windows 98 systems.
Version 3.0.11 works; I'll use that one for a while.
Created attachment 1578 [details]
Don't use qpathinfo_basic() call when server is Win9x
Fixed. Sorry. My fault. Patch attached to bug report.
I've verified that the patch works for me with 3.0.20b.
I'm very impressed with the response - thanks!