Bug 2567 - wbinfo -u does not list users but wbinfo -g works
Summary: wbinfo -u does not list users but wbinfo -g works
Alias: None
Product: Samba 3.0
Classification: Unclassified
Component: winbind (show other bugs)
Version: 3.0.13
Hardware: x86 Linux
: P3 normal
Target Milestone: none
Assignee: Samba Bugzilla Account
QA Contact: Samba QA Contact
Depends on:
Reported: 2005-04-02 04:48 UTC by Peter Kruse
Modified: 2005-09-29 09:06 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Peter Kruse 2005-04-02 04:48:09 UTC

I installed 3.0.13 on a system where 3.0.10 was running leaving the configuration
as it was.  I used to be able to list all users with "wbinfo -u" but now I get
this message: 

Error looking up domain users

and in log.winbindd:

[2005/04/02 13:35:05, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_ads.c:query_user_list(139)
  query_user_list ads_search: Success

Listing groups with "wbinfo -g" works.  Note that there are
83200 groups and about as many users, this is a big site.
Note also that "wbinfo -r", "wbinfo -G" and "wbinfo -s" all
work - it seems that only listing users does not work anymore.
In smb.conf I have:

winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
idmap uid = 10000-650000
idmap gid = 10000-650000

but I don't think it's a configuration issue as I haven't touched the 
configuration after update from v3.0.10 to v3.0.13.  What maybe of interest
is that the idmap backend is an openldap server.  We have a 
test environment with fewer users but otherwise similair setup
where "wbinfo -u" works as expected so I assume it has to do with the number of 


Comment 1 Samuel Adam 2005-05-02 06:15:40 UTC
Encountering the same behaviour.

Samba 3.0.9-2.3 packaged from SuSE 9.2

wbinfo -g : lists half of windows 2000 domain groups

wbinfo -u : Error looking up domain users

log.winbindd :

[2005/05/02 15:10:18, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:winbindd_getgroups(1032)
  user 'root' does not exist
[2005/05/02 15:12:39, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_ads.c:query_user_list(139)
  query_user_list ads_search: Success
Comment 2 Vasiliy Kotikov 2005-07-18 12:15:59 UTC
After updating W2K DC with MS04-12 update rollup 1 for SP4 
security = DOMAIN
getent passwd -> Error looking up domain users
getent group -> Lists only BUILTIN\ groups.

Moving security to ADS
wbinfo -n 'Domain Users' -> Could not lookup name Domain Users

So shares do not work!

Other checks go ok...
Comment 3 Vasiliy Kotikov 2005-07-19 13:23:38 UTC

Try to use in smb.conf
client use spnego = No
client schannel = No

This help to solve this kind of problem ...
Comment 4 Gerald (Jerry) Carter (dead mail address) 2005-09-29 09:06:52 UTC
please retest against 3.0.20a (the current SAMBA_3_0_RELEASE branch) which will
publically be availebl next week.