The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 1772
samba 3.0.6 breaks use of smbusers
Last modified: 2005-08-24 10:26:34 UTC
ive upgraded to samba 3.0.6 (from 3.0.5) and it seems that it has some issues
with username map. i use username map = /etc/samba/smbusers which maps NT
domain users to local users in form:
zbych = PWDNT\zbyszek
(PWDNT is Win's domainname)
with samba 3.0.5 everything works as expected, domain user zbyszek gets access
to samba as zbych.
with samba 3.0.6 though, it looks as if smbusers file was simply ignored.
domain user zbyszek gets connected as PWDNT\zbyszek and in turn does not get
zbych's permission to access shares.
i tried using different combinations (PWDNT\zbyszek, pwdnt/zbyszek etc) to no
downgrade to 3.0.5 resolves the issue.
i also tried upgrading to 3.0.7 but with same effect.
This is fixed in the upcoming 3.0.8. Please test the latest SAMBA_3_0
svn code or wait for 3.0.8pre2
THANK you very much for the fix. I'll test it as soon as pre version is out :)
I sincerely doubt this is fixed, or let's say it has been broken again.
/etc/samba/smbusers is ignored and users having a different linuxID and smbID
cannot authenticate. This is true for security = user and security = domain.
This problem exists in Suse 9.1 samba-3.0.9, Fedora C3 samba-3.0.10 and Mandrake
Fedora C3 samba-3.0.8-0.pre1.3 works fine:
Eral, adding comments to closed bugs is not a good idea.
And I notice that you are actually misinterpreting the logs files
in the Redhat bug report. Please open a new bug and include
your smb.conf, username map file and level 10 debug log of a failure.
for me it works like a charm (samba 3.0.8 compiled off the gentoo linux ebuild)
As I said, Fedora C3 3.0.8 works fine but 3.0.9 and 3.0.10 break with the same
config files. Created new report #2219:
sorry for the same, cleaning up the database to prevent unecessary reopens of bugs.