The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 13599
can't rename file or directory on Windows Server 2016 share
Last modified: 2019-07-16 15:12:47 UTC
I reported an issue at gvfs (
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/issues/19) that finally was due to
The issue is about the fact I can't rename a file on a Windows Server
2016 share from nautilus.
I've successfully reproduced the issue using smbclient itself. Here are
smb: \xxx\yyy> rename text.txt toto.txt
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND renaming files
\server\share\xxx\yyy\text.txt -> \server\share\xxx\yyy\toto.txt
The problem was observed using Samba 4.8.4 (debian package :
Ondrej Holy from GVFS did not reproduced the issue, using Samba 4.9.
If you need more information, I can try to run it again with more
verbose or in debug.
I am having the same exact issue, with a very similar configuration.
I also did try using Smbd 4.9.4-Debian, same issue.
I have the exact same issue.
* Observed on CentOS server 7.6 and samba 4.7.1-9 from Ubuntu 18.10 with gvfs 1.38.0-2 .
* Tried on shares with and without dollar sign in the share name.
* Tried via nemo/thunar/libreoffice/smbclient/command line via /run/user/xxxx/gvfs
Who could be the correct dev that could have a look at it or lead us towards the right direction?
I'd be glad to have a look at this point, but could anyone point me in the right direction (code tree, hints)?
Can you upload the wireshark traces and the debug level 10 logs from the smbclient reproducer please ?
Created attachment 15310 [details]
Failed renaming via gvfs mount
I can not easily change the log level as the server is in production.
But the trace I'm providing here is a case directly related to this bug :
- My host is Xubuntu 19.04 with smbclient 4.10.0, gvfs-* 1.40.1-1
- I'm using nemo file manager, but that is only used to mount the samba share via gvfs
- I create a directory : it's working
- I'm trying to rename it : it's failing
I'm providing the wireshard record of this rename failure, and I'm sure that this is the issue to be fixed.
If needed, I'll make my best to raise the samba server log level and provide it too.