Bug 8713 - SMB2/Excel_2007: "The file 1.xlsx may have been changed by another user since you last saved it"
SMB2/Excel_2007: "The file 1.xlsx may have been changed by another user since...
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Product: Samba 3.6
Classification: Unclassified
Component: SMB2
3.6.1
All All
: P5 normal
: ---
Assigned To: Jeremy Allison
Samba QA Contact
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-01-22 13:10 UTC by Giulio
Modified: 2012-11-24 14:45 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Giulio 2012-01-22 13:10:58 UTC
Samba-3.6.1 (SerNet), RHEL5.x in a VMware VM.
Client: Windows 7 64bit, Excel 2007 SP3

Problem:
I create an Excel .xlsx file (.xls is the same).
I then open it and I click "save" (even w/o any modification) repeatedly.
When saving, I randomly (not always, but often) get
"The file 1.xlsx may have been changed by another user since you last saved it" (actually in my case Excel will produce a message in Italian, but I think this is the equivalent English message).
I may get this at the 1st try, or maybe the 4th try, or whatever.
No one else is accessing the file.

I first though about an issue in Excel, read
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553073
and applied QFE_Saskatchewan fix, but the problem persisted.

Then I noticed that the problem disappears if I turn off SMB2 in Samba, and that there's no issue if the file is hosted on another Win7 server (SMB2 is used too).

So I think maybe there's an issue in Samba+SMB2.

I have a 700K wireshark trace of 4 "saves" in a row, the last causing the message; I'll send it via email to a developer willing to look into it.

I wanted to test against latest v3-6-test but couldn't find any way to download just that (or better the delta between 3.6.1 and v3-6-test HEAD) and not the entire git tree (more that half GB it seems).

Thanks
Comment 1 Giulio 2012-11-24 14:45:23 UTC
Since ancient times I had in smb.conf
  dos filetime resolution = yes
it turns out that this old setting causes problem to Excel when using SMB2, and it's evident why, since the issue is about Excel checking timestamps.

When SMB2 is off it doesn't matter, and since the only setting I changed was enabling SMB2 I thought SMB2 was the problem.

Turned it off and the Excel saving issue w/SMB2 is gone.