I compiled Samba 3.0.25pre1 on AIX 5.3.
Server and Windows-Clients use codepage ISO-8859-15.
I read in Samba-3 description, Samba tries to use UTF-8
for translate international characters.
I tried to switch the Server to UTF-8. Samba-Clients work,
but I have some problems with Unix-Applications.
I switched Server back to ISO-8859-15 and set
dos and unix-charset in smb.conf to ASCII to avoid
unnecessary character translation.
If I open Samba-Filesystem on Windows-Client with Windows-Explorer,
german umlauts are displayed correct, but I cant open any files with umlauts
in file-names on the Windows-Client with any application.
It looks for me, Samba does an unnecessary internal character recoding.
If I open a dos-Window and check files in Samba-Filesystem with dir /x
the old 8.3-Filenames of files with international characters
contain strange letters, other letters as Windows would give it.
I hope, its possible to fix this bug. I never had this problems in Samba 1 or 2.
you should never set dos/unix charset to ascii as that should break any "special" character handling. dos charset should be kept at your language's default that Windows 9x/DOS clients use (cp850 or other strance codepage). unix charset should stay at utf-8 for best interoperability with unicode win* clients. If you need 8bit filenames on the server because you need non-UTF-8 filenames via NFS or for local unix applications you can use iso8859-1 but that is non-optimal for samba. When you change the unix charset from the previous setting to a new one you will have to convert the existing files with convmv. On AIX make sure to have samba compiled agains libiconv as IBM ships a poor iconv implementation with AIX that does not support enough charsets, I would consider it broken.