The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 4203
various issues in Chapter 22 of The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide
Last modified: 2013-11-01 14:32:34 UTC
I've read just Chapter 22. of 'The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide' at
It is a fantasic read, but I have found these things which I consider wrong with it:
(I've indicated document text with '*' and my comment with '-')
- has 'public = yes' but also 'guest ok = yes' which means the same thing
* "printer admin = root, @ntadmins"
- it would be better to have a group name that was more descriptive of the 'Print Operators group, such as samba-print-operators
"Installation of Windows Client Drivers" - "The second method is recommended for use over the first."
- it would be nice to say why
- "For real PostScript printers, do not use the Foomatic or cupsomatic PPDs from Linuxprinting.org. With these devices, the original vendor-provided PPDs are always the first choice."
- there are vendor provided PPDs under a free licence available available
from Foomatic (see Debian package linuxprinting.org-ppds)
* "if missing, filters expected data fed through stdin)"
- should say 'expect'
* Figure 22.4. Prefiltering in CUPS to Form PostScript.
* Figure 22.5. Adding Device-Specific Print Options.
* Figure 22.6. PostScript to Intermediate Raster Format.
* Figure 22.18. Filtering Chain with cupsomatic
* Figure 22.19. CUPS Printing Overview.
- these diagrams are all displayed unreadably small to read, where as others aren't
* "autoconstructed from the selected PPD and command line options give to the print job."
- should say 'given'
* "A better and more powerful successor is now in a stable beta-version: it is called foomatic-rip."
- its at version 3, presumably that beyond beta
- there are many references to Gimp-Print, which has been renamed Gutenprint
* "Your print options (page selection as required, two-up, duplex) are passed to CUPS on the command line."
- should say command-line as used elsewhere in the document
* "More recent printer drivers on W200x"
* "For print change, notify functions on NT++ clients."
- these are not acronyms I've ever seen before, why are you creating new ones?
Please say something like 'Windows 2000/XP/2003'
* "write list = root" under "[print$]"
- should you not be using the Print Operators respective Unix group?
* "CUPS “PostScript Driver for Windows NT/200x/XP"
- it describes getting the CUPS Windows driver by a convoluted method, not mentioning that the binary files exist in the archive in a subdirectory.
In fact this method of yours has all been superceded:
"CUPS users may get the exact same package from http://www.cups.org/software.html. It is a separate package from the CUPS-based software files, tagged as CUPS 1.1.x Windows NT/200x/XP Printer Driver for Samba (tar.gz, 192k). The filename to download is cups-samba-1.1.x.tar.gz. Upon untar and unzipping, it will reveal these files:
root# tar xvzf cups-samba-1.1.19.tar.gz
- see http://www.cups.org/windows/ for the new method
- where it says the files are these: cupsdrvr.dll, cupsui.dll, cups.hlp
they're now actually: cups6.inf cups6.ini cupsps6.dll cupsui6.dll
* "Windows NT, 2000, and XP are supported by:
- these are different to the Adobe files I have, which are:
PSCRIPT.NTF, PSCRIPT.HLP, PSCRIPT5.DLL (the same names as the Microsoft ones)
* "open the Printers folder (possibly via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Printers)"
- On windows 2000/XP its Start -> Settings -> Printers
* "Figure 22.16. cupsaddsmb Flowchart."
- typo: "/var/spol/cups" under 'CUPS server'
* "If you want to test it and send your first job from an application like Winword"
- better to call it by its real name 'Microsoft Word', or just say 'from a word processor'
* "You are connected as printer admin or root (this is not the “Printer Operators” group in NT, but the printer admin group as defined in the [global] section of smb.conf)."
- not clear enough, better to say at the end '(which can be your Unix implementation of the Print Operators group
- its 'Print Operators' not "Printer Operators"
* "They will end up in the “0” respective “2” subdirectories later"
- needs better grammer
* "9. <title>Tell Samba which printer should use these driver files (setdriver).</title>"
- not marked up correctly
* "Win XP-SP1
Win XP-SP1 introduced a Point and Print Restriction Policy"
- please say 'Windows XP SP1' so as to be more readable, you keep changing the words you use to describe Windows
* "Here is how I do in on XP"
* "Do you use the “naked” root user name? Try to do it this way: cupsaddsmb -U DOMAINNAME\\root -v printername>"
- should have '<printername>'
Jelmer, would you like to comment on this potential improvements?
I added most of your proposals to the Samba3-Howto in in v3-0 and v3-2 branches (commit 497196e713b05901f0). The updates will be in 3.0.31 (or at least 3.0.32) and 3.2.0rc2.
The other issues need more investigation and I will have a look at these later on.
Unassigning; I'm not likely to have a moment for this any time soon.