The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 1821
WindowsXP SP2 latest updates break printing
Last modified: 2005-08-24 10:17:09 UTC
WindowsXP SP2 Printing Problem
Since the GDI+ update in XP SP2 printing does not work anymore.
This is a showstopper bug as printing simply stops working for
In fact, application will hang (essentially crash) when the Print option is
SP1 clients are not affected. SP2 was working until a few days ago.
Initially I was running 2.2.8a (Mandrake). Same effect.
The I upgraded to 3.0.2 and now 3.0.7. Same effect.
Firewall settings to not affect this.
Which updates cause the grief? From the Windows Update log I can see that the
core updates were
.Net 1.0 SP3 .Net 1.1 GDI+ and MediaPlayer 10. Plus there were a few Office
See http://www.ferzkopp.net/~aschiffler/samba.tar.gz for some
level 10 logs with the bug in action.
Printer is "CanonS600". Host is .105 as andreas-compaq.
- start smbd and nmbd with loglevel 10
- try to access printer "Properties"
- XP hangs
- wait a few seconds
- shutdown smb
- Windows responds with a "No driver installed ..." dialog
German list reference of bug
Tried to reproduce it, failed. German XPSP2 with the GDI+ update. Takes ages,
but still works.
The logs you provided are shortened, you probably have 'max log size = 100' or
so. Dramatically increase that, printing is very verbose. And please provide a
sniff as well, created by
tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s 1500 -w /tmp/sniff.cap host <client-ipaddr>
Repeated the procedure for capturing traffic during the error condition with log
size 1M and also included a tcpdump.
- start smb
- start tcpdump
- try to access "Properties" of samba printer "CanonS600"
- windows hangs
- stop tcpdump
- stop smb
- windows popups up a error dialog ("No printer driver ...")
There's no driver assigned to the printer.
000a80 smb_io_unistr servername
0a80 unistr: \.\.1.9.2...1.6.8...0...1.9.9...
0000 offset: 00000a80
000a4c smb_io_unistr printername
0a4c unistr: \.\.1.9.2...1.6.8...0...1.9.9.\.C.a.n.o.n.S.6.0.0...
0004 offset: 00000a4c
000a38 smb_io_unistr sharename
0a38 unistr: C.a.n.o.n.S.6.0.0...
0008 offset: 00000a38
000a12 smb_io_unistr portname
0a12 unistr: S.a.m.b.a. .P.r.i.n.t.e.r. .P.o.r.t...
000c offset: 00000a12
000a10 smb_io_unistr drivername
0a10 unistr: ..
Corrupted tdb? The log file doesn't match up with your description
that XP sp1 clients have no problems. Looks like a configuration issue to me.
But, I've NEVER assigned a printer driver on the Linux side of things for
printing to work. I always install the printer driver on the Windows side
manually on FILE: and then choose it manually when connecting to the share. We
also run a "write to PDF" which also stopped working.
Basically all updated SP2 clients stopped working while SP1 clients keept
happily printing away (obviously we didn't have any non-updated SP2 clients
anymore because its all automatic these days).
Still, it is possibly a configuration issue - What might need to be changed
configuration-wise to fix things? I'll try anything - we print from an old
Windows box at the moment.
(In reply to comment #3)
> There's no driver assigned to the printer.
> 000000 smb_io_printer_info_2
> 000a80 smb_io_unistr servername
> 0a80 unistr: \.\.1.9.2...1.6.8...0...1.9.9...
> 0000 offset: 00000a80
> 000a4c smb_io_unistr printername
> 0a4c unistr: \.\.1.9.2...1.6.8...0...1.9.9.\.C.a.n.o.n.S.6.0.0...
> 0004 offset: 00000a4c
> 000a38 smb_io_unistr sharename
> 0a38 unistr: C.a.n.o.n.S.6.0.0...
> 0008 offset: 00000a38
> 000a12 smb_io_unistr portname
> 0a12 unistr: S.a.m.b.a. .P.r.i.n.t.e.r. .P.o.r.t...
> 000c offset: 00000a12
> 000a10 smb_io_unistr drivername
> 0a10 unistr: ..
> Corrupted tdb? The log file doesn't match up with your description
> that XP sp1 clients have no problems. Looks like a configuration issue to me.
could you attach your smb.conf for me to look at? Thanks.
Created attachment 730 [details]
smb.conf from running system
As requested by Jerry.
On my system this problem did not stop printing, but made it agonizingly slow.
I was able to fix it by deleting the printers on the Windows client. On the
Linux box, I stopped Samba, deleted the nt*.tdb files, and restarted Samba. On
the Windows side, I used Windows Explorer to browse to the Printers and Faxes
section of the Samba share, right-clicked on the white space and selected
Server Properties, then reinstalled the drivers into the appropriate W32X86
folder on the server. After reinstalling the printer on the Windows machine,
proper speed was restored.
reports are that printing is working fine in 3.0.11rc1.
(In reply to comment #8)
> reports are that printing is working fine in 3.0.11rc1.
I have samba-3.0.14a-2 in FC4 with kernel 2.6.12-1.1387,
and the same problem persists.
The only workaround I found is to change windows registry before each print.
Luis, I can't fix windows client bugs and am not going to open a
new bug report without more evidence that Samba is doing something
sorry for the same, cleaning up the database to prevent unecessary reopens of bugs.