Bug 1768 - WINS host resolution stopped working in 3.0.7
WINS host resolution stopped working in 3.0.7
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Product: Samba 3.0
Classification: Unclassified
Component: nmbd
3.0.7
x86 Linux
: P3 normal
: none
Assigned To: Samba Bugzilla Account
Samba QA Contact
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-09-15 06:38 UTC by John Russell
Modified: 2004-09-15 10:52 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description John Russell 2004-09-15 06:38:53 UTC
I have samba configured to resolve dhcp addresses of windows machines by using
WINS. I have done this by adding a WINS server ip address to smb.conf and adding
'wins' to the end of the hosts line in nsswitch.conf.  This has worked fine
since samba-2.x up until 3.0.6-r3 (gentoo release).  However, I upgraded to
3.0.6-r4 and it stopped working.  It also doens't work in an unpatched 3.0.7.
All WINS hosts are unknown.  Switching back to gentoo release r3 or stock 3.0.6
makes it work.  I dont' even have to restart samba.  If the r3 or stock 3.0.6
files are there...good.  r4 or 3.0.7 files... bad.

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1.configure samba to resolve dynamic address hostnames using WINS
2. install samba-3.0.7 ping <windows machine with dhcp address
3. ping <windows machine with dhcp address>

Actual Results:  
host unknown

Expected Results:  
the ping should resolve the hostname to the correct dhcp address by asking the
WINS server.  

Note that I have not at any point restarted he samba services during this
process.  I also tried it with restarting the services just to be sure, but it
seems to have no effect one way or the other.

The Gentoo samba team claims that the only patches between version r3 and r4
were x86_64 related and probably wouldn't cause this.  I checked with them first
as I saw this first between two gentoo revision releases.  But now it is
happening in 3.0.7.  

Thanks for the help.
Comment 1 John Russell 2004-09-15 10:52:25 UTC
Sorry for this.  The problem was, in fact, with the Gentoo ebuild and has been
resolved.