Bug 159 - smbmount doesn't return commandline prompt and character translation error
smbmount doesn't return commandline prompt and character translation error
Status: CLOSED FIXED
Product: Samba 3.0
Classification: Unclassified
Component: File Services
3.0.0preX
All Linux
: P2 normal
: none
Assigned To: Gerald (Jerry) Carter
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2003-06-13 04:18 UTC by Bent Vangli
Modified: 2005-11-14 09:31 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Bent Vangli 2003-06-13 04:18:42 UTC
I have turned into a rather odd situation. When trying to mount Windows NT (SP6)
shares on Redhat 9.0 system with locally compiled Samba 3.0.0beta1, the
commandline prompt doesnt return. This is also true when using "mount -t smbfs
..." . The mount is in fact actual taken place, and by pressing "Ctrl+C", the
prompt are returned. The mount then seems to operate correct and even "df" shows
a correct mount. The same ting happen when using "fstab" and "mount -a". No
prompt are returned until I press "Ctrl+C". With more than one smb share mount,
I have to repeat this procedure the same number of times. Every time a new mount
is created correctly.

Following is an example of "fstab" line ( on a single line :-) ):

//raappl1/m$    /root/raappl1/m smbfs  
credentials=/root/cred/raappl1.txt,iocharset=utf8,codepage=cp850,ro,ttl=10000   0 0

The mount and character conversions seem to work 99.9% correct. Though, I
sometimes got complainments about missing files, which indeed are present, when
doing a tar og du on the mounted filesystem. Its an older NT machine and hence
may have problems answering my super-duper LINUX box fast enough :-)). Maybe it
should be a parameter allowing slower operation? (he-he).

I have also turned on the debugging feature using smbount. With debuglevel=3 and
above it stops after reporting "tconx ok". Pressing "Ctrl+C" then as usual
release the command prompt.

When compiling I use the following configuration:

./configure --prefix=/usr              \
            --with-libsmbclient        \
            --with-smbmount            \
            --with-manpages-langs=en   \
            --with-automount           \
            --with-pam                 \
            --with-acl-support         \
            --with-smbwrapper          \
            --with-ldapsam

I have also detected another strange bug. If I add the "noauto" parameter to the
above "fstab" line, then expected character translation doesn't work. As lsted
above, it works just fine.

With very best regards

Bent Vangli
Comment 1 Bent Vangli 2003-09-02 04:41:02 UTC
Hi

In Samba 3.0.0rc this odd behaviour dissapear if you add the option for large 
file system suppert ("lfs"). Suggest that this error been marked as fixed.

with best regards

Bent Vangli
Comment 2 Gerald (Jerry) Carter 2003-09-02 06:03:27 UTC
done
Comment 3 Gerald (Jerry) Carter 2005-02-07 08:38:58 UTC
originally reported against 3.0.0beta1.  CLeaning out 
non-production release versions.
Comment 4 Gerald (Jerry) Carter 2005-08-24 10:19:42 UTC
sorry for the same, cleaning up the database to prevent unecessary reopens of bugs.
Comment 5 Gerald (Jerry) Carter 2005-11-14 09:31:03 UTC
database cleanup